Thursday, October 20, 2016

Power. Power is an extremely useful tool when used correctly. When the wrong hands have a certain amount of power things can spiral downhill and quickly. Power is the ability to influence others, and is inversely related to dependence. There are five main types of power, which can be seen below.


Expert Power is the most important of the five. There are also two more forms of power, information, and network, which also both have a large influence on society. When asked to put different people into categories of power I struggled and found myself searching for vague answers. 
Some of these examples are Hitler (Coercive), MLK (Referent), Bob Barker (Reward), Obama (Authority), Lebron James (Expert), Julian Assange (Information), LinkedIn (Network).

This week I also learned that our teacher is a consultant which I find very interesting because that is something I would like to pursue. As a freshman I know that there are endless opportunities to speak with professors on a personal level, and I know that I need to start taking a better advantage of this. 

In class there is also a test coming up, in which I hope to do well in. I feel very well prepared overall as a class, and also I know that I will have the extra confidence of the cheat sheet to use on the test. I believe that the cheat sheet is very helpful, and it acts almost as a placebo. Mental Note* I need to also ask if Ms. Sharek teaches any other courses because I would love to take them. 

In class we also talked about communication and how it is effectively portrayed. In todays world it is becoming ever present to not stereotype job titles, like chair instead of chairman. Body language also plays a large role in everyday interaction. My RCC is almost solely based off of body language and reading different personas so I found this as a review on information. So far the class is going very well and I hope to continue to be successful in both school and in my personal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment